Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Tag

Wow I've arrived! Someone tagged me! Thanks Alaina! :) I feel loved. Okay here we go.

Christmas Questionnaire Time!!!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Oh defintitely hot chocolate. I CANNOT stand egg nog. Gross gross gross.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
As a kid it didnt' apply because Santa just brought us candy for the stockings, but now I think it depends on what it is size wise...

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
There's too much snow outside in December to risk life and limb on a ladder hanging anything.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No.

5. When do you put up your decorations?
Thanksgiving weekend. We have a fake tree now so we can do that. As a kid it was always really close to Christmas Eve, and sometime Christmas Eve itself before anything went up.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Umm...my mom makes this for Thanksgiving but I'm going to do it for Christmas too, which is her recipe for sweet potatoes that came from her mom. They are so delicious and it tastes like pie, not sweet potatoes and they are all covered with giant marshmallows. So delish. And I usually never eat sweet potatoes cause I hate em.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
I think it has to be the year we went dumpster diving for a tree. Funny story! About the day before Christmas eve or so, we went out in our big van to buy a tree. Wyatt (or someone) said that they had seen a tree lot over by Target at the old Fallbrook Mall. So we went over there, and drove around, and saw no lot. We went to the back, and they had already taken all the trees and put them in the dumpster! So my dad backs the van up and hops in the dumpster to find a tree. Sure enough, he found a really nice one, so we brought it home. They loved it cause it was a free tree and it's a great story now!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't remember, but I think my mom told us that as soon as we stopped believing then Santa wouldn't bring us anymore stuff, so I never really "stopped" believing.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No, we didn't. James did so we do it now.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
With ornaments that I got when I got married and with ones I've bought, and with the things that Zoe has made. Same style generally as my parents tree when I was a kid.

11. What is another favorite Christmas tradition memory?
All of us kids decorating the tree, and semi-fighting over who would hang the really cool ornaments - like our "jumping Santa" - he was wooden with a string and when you pulled it, his arms and legs moved like he was doing jumping jacks. We all liked him and wanted to hang him.

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes, but it's been a long time. I can only go forwards and I need to use a wall to stop at the rink.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
No, I don't think I really have one...

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Oh...everything I think. I love imparting the joy of the holidays to my girls and watching how excited they get over the whole thing.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Pumpkin cheesecake!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Another one?? I don't think I have enough for more!

17. What tops your tree?
A star, which is leaning at the moment because the top branches where the topper is supposed to go are not very strong.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Both. I love giving presents and shopping for them. I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but to me, presents are an outward expression of your feelings toward a person, especially when it comes to family. I think, "if I get this person this thing that I just know they will love, then they will know that I care about them because I took the time to find this and give it to them". And of course I love recieving presents cause they're so fun. :) And I do love how a great big pile of them looks under a tree.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
I like a lot of them. I can tell you the few I HATE, and will change the radio if I hear them. Let's see - I hate "Winter Wonderland", " Feliz Navidad", "The Christmas Song" (the chestnuts roasting one), that cheesy one about the kid and the shoes, and I think there's another one or two but those are the ones that pop to mind now.

20. Candy Canes?
Yes please!

21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized?
Well yes, doesn't everyone? However I love it anyway and I don't really mind.

Now, I tag....Kathryn Kahumoku, cause she's my follower :) And anyone else who sees this and wants to participate. Have fun!

No comments: