Saturday, February 14, 2009

CHD Awareness Week - Post 6


I hope I haven't caused any overload this week - but I know how important this topic is to a lot of people. I get so caught up sometimes in Zoe and how she's doing, I sometimes don't realize the seriousness of what she's living with. She's done so well with her surgeries and if you were to look at her, you would never realize that there was anything wrong. I love to read about other heart kids online, and I love the support group I'm a member of, and it serves as a reality check for me sometimes to hear about other kids who haven't been so lucky. It scares me sometimes, but although I am optimistic, I do need to keep my feet on the ground. Am I assured that she will live a long and full life? No. The oldest people who have had her surgeries are only a little bit older than me (so early 30's). No one really knows how long a heart can function with only half of it working. We know that she will live to adulthood, but beyond that who knows? And who knows what new treatments and surgical procedures will be invented between now and then? (Provided enough research funding is provided). Some of the things are pretty scary though - stories of kids collapsing and dying when they seemed to be doing so well, they only had to see their cardiologist once a year. Kids who don't make it through surgery - I'm very very lucky that I have my girl and I try to not let a day go by that I don't appreciate that fact.

1 comment:

Suth-ern Mama said...

Laurel, thank you for posting all your comments, research, and personal stories about HRHS. I too belong to HRHS group. My little girl Maia was born this past Oct. She has only needed a valvuloplasty and appears to only need one more. No opening the chest...it is hard to believe that will be the case. Maia is doing well and I am glad to hear that Zoe is thriving as well! I appreciate your support of CHD awareness! Thank you!